Dunshelt

1855 Dunshalt

This village is in the neighbourhood of Auchtermuchty, being distant about one mile. The origin of the name is assigned to the Danes halting here; such is the local reason at least. In a wood south of the village is what is supposed to be a Danish Camp or British Fort. The village is for the most part regular; it is lighted with gas and well supplied with water. The houses are generally one storey high, with gardens attached, the inhabitants are engaged principally in weaving. Besides the Gas Work, there is a School, and Post Office, and a few shops. The ground is feued from O.T. Bruce Esq. Falkland House. The River Eden flows by the south end of the Village.

Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland